At the District Governor’s Handover Dinner, Saturday, 17 July 2021, then District Governor (DG) Tony Pederick OAM presented awards to lions who had excelled in their service during the 2020/2021 term. However, every lion in the 201C1 district is to be commended for the work they have done and are doing, for their own communities. Congratulations to all.
Zone Chairpersons are the backbone of our district, and very important in keeping the District Governor up-to-date with what is happening in the clubs, and communicating information to the clubs to the higher levels of the organisation.
For 2020/2021 DG Tony created a District Governor’s Zone Chairpersons Appreciation Award. This award was presented to express appreciation for the work performed by each of the district’s Zone Chairpersons.
The Zone Chairpersons for 2020/21 included:
- Ray Najar (City of Adelaide)
- Evelyn Chefalachis (Adelaide Hellenic)
- Michele Alexandrou (Burnside)
- Marijka Ryan (Charles Sturt)
- Julie Pickles (Paralowie)
- PDG Rob Royal (Clare District)
- PDG Don Pritchard (Rocky River)
- Steve Fawcett (Port Augusta)
- John Reed (Barossa Valley)
- Ian Marschall (Maitland & District)
- Allan Zerna (Cowell)
District Governor’s Special Appreciation Award
The first award was presented to Peterborough & District Lions Club for services rendered to the district during 2020/21, particularly in respect to the planning of the aborted district convention which was to be held in Peterborough in October 2020. Unfortunately, the convention was cancelled due to Covid-19.
The second special appreciation award was presented to Indiana Stacey for initiating and helping develop the Cubs Club Program. This program instils in students, from years 1 to 6, the need to assist the communities in which they live, together with building leaderships skills and developing public speaking skills. It is hoped this program will encourage them to become Lions later in life.
The Footprint Award
This award recognises the dedicated quiet achievers of District 201C1. This year, it was awarded to Lions Val Jarvis from the Athelstone Lions Club for her work with her club and with the Youth of the Year program at club, district and state levels.
District Governor’s Appreciation Medal
This year, three (3) medals were awarded.
- PDG Don Pritchard (Rocky River) for assisting and advising the District Governor on various issues throughout the past year.
- PDG Lance Leak OAM for his work as Constitutional and Bylaws Chairperson and Lions Clubs International Foundation (LCIF) representative.
- Lion Helen Martin for her services to lionesses over the years.
International President’s Certificate of Appreciation
DG Tony awarded four (4) certificates to those Lions who quietly go about their work within their clubs, and communities, year after year, for the benefit of our organisation.
- Kingsley Blenkiron (Onkaparinga)
- Gary Pavlich (Prospect Blair Athol)
- John Chefalachis (Adelaide Hellenic)
- Garry Pattingale (Whyalla)
This award is exclusively designed for those who have rendered deserving services to their clubs or communities.
- Gavin Roberts (Port Lincoln) for the services he has rendered to the District as a Zone Chairperson, a member of the Global Membership Team (GMT), his club in Port Lincoln, and the community.
- Annette Slater (Golden Grove) for the work she has done in helping form the Pedare Pride Cubs Club, and as President of the Golden Grove Lions Club.
Helen Keller Fellowship
The Helen Keller Fellowship recognises a deserving person who has made an outstanding contribution to society. Vice District Governor Zig Osis (West Beach) was awarded the Helen Keller Fellowship award for the services he has rendered to the 201C1 District, his club (West Beach) and in particular, to his community.
James D Richardson Award
This award is organised through the Australian Lions Foundation (ALF) and is presented to honour a Lion for their significant contribution the the community, and Lions. This award was presented to Vice District Governor Peter Korndorfer (Elizabeth Playford) and Steve Fawcett (Port Augusta), for the work they have done in their respective portfolios of Global Membership Team (GMT) and Global Services Team (GST).
Robert Cooter Award
This award was presented to Phillip Donato OAM (Adelaide Italian) for services he has rendered to the Lions Medical Research Foundation (LMRF) over several years. His dedication to his role as chairperson of the foundation is very much appreciated by our district.
Australian Lions Childhood Cancer Research Awards
- A Gold award was presented to Sandy Royal (Clare District) for her dedication and service as the District Disaster Relief Coordinator and as a Trustee of the Australian Lions Childhood Cancer Research Foundation (ALCCRF).
- A Silver award was presented to Andrew Stacey (City of Adelaide) for his dedication and work with the district youth programs.
Melvin Jones Fellowship (Progressive)
This award is presented in recognition of humanitarian work and is organised through the Lions Clubs International Foundation (LCIF).
- Vaal Dix (Glenside) – for work with the Australian Lions Children’s Mobility Foundation.
- Ted Osborn (Gilles Plains) – for work as editor of the monthly bulletin, club administration and suppport.
- PDG Dean Noll (Gawler) – for service to district through the Christmas cakes, puddings and mints programs.
- Hayden Edwards (Glenside) – for service to district as Cabinet Treasurer.
Lions International Leadership Award
This award is awarded to Lions who make significant contributions to leadership development and results without the Lions organisation. The Lions International Leadership Medal was awarded to Past District Governor Megan Butler (Elizabeth Playford) and Past District Governor Rob Royal (Clare District).
Lions International Presidential Award
This award is awarded to lions who distinguish themselves for their exemplary service that significantly strengthens their community or our Association. It is an expression of Lions International’s appreciation of dedicated service to those in need; hard work and compassion that have served as an example to the Lions, community and the world around the person being recognised.
The Lions International Presidential Medal was awarded to Petrea Stacey (City of Adelaide).
Congratulations to all award recipients.